Monday, March 2, 2009

The Best $10 Can Buy


In times like these, it's important to spend wisely, right?  Above, please find my suggestion for the best way to spend $10 (after bills, of course).  Local multigrain bread, fresh local cheese, and a pint of heavy cream from the nearby dairy from which, if you are easily distracted and able to shake a jar while watching a flick, will turn into the most amazing butter you've ever had.  It was such a simple plate - bread, butter, cheese - but I can't tell you how may times I caught Andrew and I sharing that glance, the "can we live in this moment forever?" glance.  I'm so grateful for the simple things, like the feeling of heavy cream in a jam jar as it starts to change, hugging the glass, then pulling away, the round tumble of yellow butter appearing like magic after what seemed like an impassable coating of cream.  I've got an unexpected day off, so I'm taking the time to share my morning with a press pot of coffee, an interview with a favorite poet, and class registration before I head off for a day of reading, research, and writing.  

1 comment:

K A R I™ said...

I have never made butter before. What a lovely idea.