Friday, January 8, 2010

Panorama


After uploading all the photos I took of the latest McSweeney's Quarterly, I sat down on the couch to see a screen full of dark, blurry images. I thought about retaking them, I promise I did, but in all honesty, at the end of the first week back this quarter, I decided that this dark, blurry lens is an apt showing of how I am viewing things tonight, so I'm going to just ask you to try to look past the blur. As I've mentioned before, McSweeney's Quarterly is the favorite subscription in this house, and it holds that title against some pretty stiff competition. Four times a year we receive unique, informative, creative collections of fiction, creative non-fiction, poetry, and art. In this edition, we added news to that list, with a HUGE one time only newspaper full of articles, interviews, comics, crosswords, two magazine style sections with over 100 pages each, a two-sided card stock insert printed with a comic on one side and a cut out and build rocket on the other, and so, so much more. In a time when print journalism is fading before our eyes, this compilation of authors (Miranda July, Edna O'Brien, George Saunders, and more), art, current events, food, travel, and yes, even sports, reignites my love of holding the physical paper in my hands, feeling part of the news. We've been enjoying the Panorama since it arrived and there's still so much left we haven't read. For $16, it's one of my top recommendations of the moment.





2 comments:

shari said...

awesome. thanks for posting this. off to order a copy.

Brandi and Chelle's mom said...

After listening to you talk about it and seeing the issues you own, I may have to subscribe myself.