Sunday, December 14, 2008

Snow, or, What I've Been Doing



Last night, just as the last ornaments were place on my first REAL! Christmas tree, all pine-y and filled with my childhood ornaments, snow fell. It's still a novelty to me, not having grown up with it the way Andrew did (he sees scraping, shoveling, plowing, etc. and I see white, fluffy clouds that say - Stay inside! Snuggle! Read!). The photo above is from about 7AM this morning, just after mom hugged us both goodbye and made her way to the car, Seattle, home. I'd like to tell you that we had so much fun, that I was so full by the time she left, so happy and calm, that there was no possible way for me to be sad she had return home, but friends, I cried. All those things, they just made me want her to stay more. I'd have gladly taken a few more jobs in order to fly her boyfriend out to ensure her happiness too, but still, I cried. Do you ever get too old to want your mom, or your dad, if that's what you have, to be there to share it with you? Maybe I just lucked-out in that category, the parent you want around even when they don't *have* to be, but oh, I was sad to see her go.

In the last week, we've eaten more, laughed more, walked more, bickered more, and slept less than I have in a while, but it all felt fantastic. I completed 37 pages of final papers for my two classes, returned a few library books, and paid a few bills in order to keep the week official - it wasn't just cheese and crackers and thrifting and doughnuts!

2 comments:

K A R I™ said...

I don't think you ever get too old to want your parents at certain times.

Ask my hubby... whenever I get sick I always whine that I want my mommy to come take care of me....

Kirsten said...

I agree with Kari. You never get too old to want your parents. I cry every time my Grandma (not technically a birth parent but in many ways she's my mother) leaves. At the first sign of trouble, my first thoughts aren't usually for Jon, but for my dad. He'll fix it.

On a high note, you're so lucky to have snow! How exciting! Be sure to post lots of pictures so us here in Savannah (with the weather in the 70s) can live vicariously through you!